Affiliate Club Guidelines
The purpose of the MASCUSA Affiliate Program is to provide support for MASCUSA members that want to form a local specialty club. The Affiliate Club should have an interest in promoting the Miniature American Shepherd at the local level through matches, herding trials, health clinics, seminars, and educational events for the club members or the public. The relevant MASCUSA committees will provide support to the Affiliate Club in the organization, promotion, and execution of such activities. MASCUSA will also work with the Affiliate Club on sponsoring MASCUSA events such as Supported Entries and Specialties.
Benefits of Becoming a MASCUSA Affiliate Club
MASCUSA will assist the Affiliate Club in its efforts to become recognized by the AKC.
The MASCUSA Board and Committees will support the Affiliate Club in its efforts to hold local events promoting the Miniature American Shepherd.
Affiliate Club contact information will be listed on the Affiliates page.
Affiliate Club events may be listed on the Upcoming Events page.
The Affiliate Club may provide a weekly update to all MASCUSA members via the Tuesday Talk electronic newsletter.
With MASCUSA Board approval, the Affiliate Club will be allowed to send a special bulletin to the MASCUSA membership via Constant Contact.
Starting An Affiliate Club
A group of MASCUSA members that wish to form an Affiliate Club should hold an organizational meeting in order to take the following steps:
- Define the geographical area the Affiliate Club will cover. This should be based on where the majority of the Affiliate Club members will reside.
- Select a name and acronym for the Affiliate Club. The name should reflect both the geographical area and the breed.
- Elect officers to include at least a President, Vice President, Treasurer, and Secretary. The officers may not serve concurrently as officers on the Board of MASCUSA or any MASCUSA Affiliate. You may also elect additional Directors to help guide the club. The Treasurer is responsible for collecting all membership dues and passing the membership application to the Secretary, for all collections and payments of monies, and financial record keeping. The Secretary is responsible for taking the minutes at meetings and keeping the club records that includes membership information and event history . In accordance with AKC regulations, the Treasurer and Secretary may be the same person if the club's Bylaws allow for this. These documents will be necessary if the Affiliate Club chooses to be recognized by AKC. Officers and Directors of the Affiliate Club should read the AKC guide, "How to Form an AKC®-Accredited Dog Club." This guide gives good advice on how to form a successful club.
- Designate either the President or the Secretary of the Affiliate Club as the contact point for MASCUSA.
- Adopt a Constitution and Bylaws. AKC provides a Sample Constitution and Bylaws that is a good starting point and can be edited to suit the purposes of the Affiliate Club.
- Create a calendar of proposed activities for the coming year such as matches, herding trials, health clinics, seminars, or educational events.
- Familiarize your officers with and follow Robert's Rules of Order for meetings.
- Collect dues as established in your club Bylaws.
- Open a bank account in the name of the club within the first year with both the Treasurer and a current officer, who is unrelated to the Treasurer, as co-signers on the account.
Applying for Affiliate Club Status
In addition to the above steps, approval of an Affiliate Club requires the following:
- The Officers and Directors of the club must be MASCUSA members in good standing.
- The club must have a minimum of 10 members.
- The Constitution and Bylaws must conform to the template on the AKC site.
Once the above steps have been taken to organize the Affiliate Club, and all requirements are met, application to MASCUSA for Affiliate status involves the following:
- Fill out the Affiliate Club Application. The President must sign the application.
- Attach a copy of the adopted Constitution and Bylaws.
- Attach a membership list, including names, address, phone number, email address, and MASCUSA membership number if applicable.
- Attach a list of proposed activities and their dates within the calendar year of application and/or a list of activities and their dates that have been held already in the calendar year. 2 total activities are required.
- Attach a list of held or proposed meeting dates within the calendar year. 2 meetings in each calendar year are required. These can be held with activities although they do not count as activities.
- If applicable, attach bank account information as follows: proof of a bank account, bank name and address, bank account in the club's name, and co-signers on the account. The co-signers must be the Treasurer and a current officer or director unrelated to the Treasurer. A bank account must be open within the first year.
- Enclose the Affiliation Fee (see the Forms & Fees page for current fees).
Email all of the above documentation to the MASCUSA Board of Directors or mail the above application to the MASCUSA club office. The application will be placed on the agenda of the next scheduled MASCUSA Board of Directors meeting to be reviewed and voted upon. The applicant club will be notified promptly as to the result of the vote, and if denied will be informed as to what requirements were not met.
Affiliate Club Reporting and Annual Renewal
Affiliate Club status is approved until the end of the current calendar year. Affiliate Clubs must report and renew their status each year. The same application form is used for this purpose, and is due between October 1 and February 1 in order for the Affiliate status to be renewed for the next calendar year. All club affiliates seeking renewal with MASCUSA must submit the following documentation with the application. All documents must be received and reviewed by the Board before the renewal of an affiliate club will be approved.
- Officer list for the upcoming year that must include president, vice president, secretary and treasurer (secretary and treasurer may be the same person if the club's bylaws allow), and directors. All officers must be current members of MASCUSA. This list must include the office held, names, addresses, and emails.
- Current membership list that includes all information as specified in the initial application.
- List of events, community involvement, and educational activities held within the last year and a list of proposed activities for the next calendar year. (2 activities minimum are required each year. Meetings do not count although an educational event held at a meeting would count.)
- Bank account information – proof of a bank account, bank name and address, title of the bank account in the club's name, and Treasurer and officer's names on the account as specified above).
- A fiscal report that includes the opening and closing bank balance with debits and credits specifically listed for the year. If associated with an activity, it must state which activity.
Affiliate Club Geographic Areas
Region 1: Alaska, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming.
Region 2: Hawaii, California, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico.
Region 3: Colorado, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Missouri, Arkansas, Louisiana.
Region 4: North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin.
Region 5: Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky.
Region 6: Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida.
Region 7: Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island.
Region 8: New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, West Virginia, Virginia, District of Columbia.
Board Approved March 23, 2015.